Marriage allowance lets you transfer £1,250 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner.

This can reduce their tax by up to £250 every tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year). To benefit as a couple, you need to earn less than your partner and have an income of £12,500 or less. Your partner’s income must be between £12,501 and £50,000 (£43,430 in Scotland) for you to be eligible.

You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2015 that you were eligible for Marriage Allowance. If your partner has since died you can still claim.

Before you apply

You need your National insurance number and your partner’s. You also need a way to prove your identity.

This can be one of the following:

– the last 4 digits of the account that your child benefit, tax credits or pension is paid into

– the last 4 digits of an account that pays you interest

– details from your P60

– details from any of your 3 most recent payslips

– your passport number and expiry date.

Go to and complete the online form. You’ll get an email confirming your application.