Skip to main content Skip to search

Self Assessment

If you meet any criteria that you have to complete a tax return, the deadline for online registration is 5th October.  Registering for Self Assessment isn’t an automatic process when you set up a limited company or become self-employed, so you’ll need to notify HMRC of your situation. You can do this personally by phoning the Self Assessment helpline or we can help you to register within our Self Assessment service.  If you do not register in time you may be liable to pay a penalty.  The deadline for online self assessment submission and payment of any outstanding tax and national insurance liability is 31 January.


If you are employed and have received any untaxed income, been claiming child benefit and earn over £50k, are a high earner, a company director or a property landlord, you will generally speaking need to complete a self assessment.  In order for us to file your self assessment for you, you will need to provide us with:

  • P60 & P11D

  • Amount of untaxed interest on savings

  • Total child benefit you have received, if any

  • Capital gains received

  • Investment Income

  • Any other untaxed income

If you owe more tax you are able to change your tax code so that HMRC can collect it via PAYE, as long as your return is filed before 30th December.

Self Employed / Sole Traders

Let us complete your self assessment for you and ensure you don’t pay more tax than you need to by claiming tax relief on your business expenses.  Provide us with your business receipts, bank statements and CIS schedules and we will:

  • Advise what expenses are allowable when calculating net profit

  • Calculate net profit and produce a profit and loss account

  • Reconcile CIS schedules with net income

  • Organise and file receipts and documents so they can be easily found and referred to if needed

  • File your self assessment within the required deadline

If your business owes more than £1,000 in tax and national insurance and you do not pay tax through the CIS scheme your bill will usually include an additional payment towards the following tax year (payment on account), which is collected every January and July.  If you have a valid reason not to pay your payment on account you can apply to opt out.